Young people, artists, and designers make their way here to live and work in SoFo, giving the area a very distinct character. This is where independent visions of fashion, art and form transform the whole area into an eclectic, creative blend. SoFo is the place to find a variety of individual shops, young fashion, accessories, shoes, records, interior design and unique pieces. In SoFo, swarms of small restaurants and cafés vie for attention in an urban environment dominated by older buildings. As you stroll along the streets, you will also discover the squares and parks that help to make this neighbourhood so special. Make a mental note of Nytorget, where you can relax in the shade of a tree or enjoy a bite to eat at one of the many restaurants that line the park.
SoFo-night last Thursday every month
Many SoFo shops stay open late (until 21:00 / 9 PM) the last Thursday every month. Expect to find happenings such as live music sets, various fashion shows and exclusive offers for this night only along with much more.
Where is SoFo?
SoFo comprises the area “South of Folkungagatan”, east of Götgatan and west of Renstiernas gata on Södermalm – hence, SoFo. Here are some of the highlights in the area.
Take you time and explore your favourites in the area. Below are some addresses that will help you get around the neighbourhood. You will find the SoFo-sprit on the entire island of Södermalm; Mariatorget, Götgatan with Brunogallerian and Mosebacke. Find out more on www.sofo-stockholm.se website.
Restaurants and cafés
- Koh Phangan Feels like exotic Thailand in SoFo. Thai-food and monsoon rain. Address: Skånegatan 57, www.kohphangan.se
- Pelikan/Kristallen A classic beer hall that now also serves well-prepared, reasonably priced Swedish home cooking in a simple, relaxed, milieu. Located next door to the pleasant and somewhat noisier Kristallen bar. Address: Blekingegatan 40, www.pelikan.se
- PetSounds Bar PetSounds bar and restaurant offers great food for a reasonable price. Don’t miss clubnights in the basement. See also PetSounds Records. Address: Skånegatan 80, www.petsoundsbar.se
- Roxy A charming tavern at Nytorget. Choose to eat tapas or a whole meal or just a drink in the bar. Address: Nytorget 6, www.roxysofo.se
- String A lovely mix of retro furnitures, relaxing atmosphere and the perfect place to start your Saturday in with a brunch. The furniture is on sale as well so if you can’t leave the sofa when the latte is gone, why not buy it? Address: Nytorgsgatan 38, www.cafestring.com
- Svart Kaffe/Florida Svart Kaffe is a music café and they serve sandwiches with personality. Next door you will find the shop Florida – a paradise for “Hello Kitty” lovers. Address: Södermannagatan 21-23, www.svartkaffe.se
- Urban Deli Regardless of whether you are looking for brunch, lunch, dinner or “to go” there is something for everyone. Urban Deli also offers ready made bags of ingredients and recipes for four to go. Address: Nytorget 4, www.urbandeli.org
- Östgötakällaren Östgötakällaren has a genuine neighbourhood pub feel. You’ll do well to hoist a Belgian or Czech beer and enjoy a meal at moderate prices. Address: Östgötagatan 41, http://ostgotakallaren.gastrogate.com
- Afrodites Apotek Erotic shop for women and their lovers. Address: Katarina Bangata 17, www.afroditesapotek.se
- Boutique Sportif T-shirts, caps, shoes and accessories for sk8:ers. Labels like Your $weden £uxury, Rocky Skateboards, Sample not for sale, etc. Address: Kocksgatan 60, www.sportif.se
- Coctail de lux/Coctail These two sister stores, a study in kitsch, primarily sell plastic items in every imaginable colour and size. You can also find patterned plastic tablecloths, crazy key rings, multi-coloured glass, jewellery, clothes, beaded curtains and inflatable objects. Address: Bondegatan 34/Skånegatan 71, www.coctail.nu
- Daisy Dapper Clothes and Stuff Daisy Dapper is like stepping into the 50's retro and rockabilly world. Here you'll find everything from shoes, accessories, handbags to true pin-up bathing suits and cool jewelry. Address: Katarina Bangata 33, www.daisydapper.com
- De Pontes Surfshop Authentic one of a kind surf shop. Address: Skånegatan 72, www.depontes.se
- Grandpa A must when you visit SoFo. Grandpa has a nice assortment of 60s and 70s furniture mixed in with more contemporary items. Also new and old clothes for guys and gals. (Their shop in the Kungsholmen district is also worth a visit). Address: Södermannagatan 21, www.grandpa.se
- Lisa Larsson Secondhand Most eras and styles are represented in this, one of Stockholm’s most well-known second-hand stores. Address: Bondegatan 48, www.lisalarssonsecondhand.com
- Mini Rodini Unisex organic label for children aged 0-7. The store also sells children books. Address: Nytorgsgatan 36, www.minirodini.se
- Monica Förster Design Shop This internationally renowned contemporary Swedish designer has opened her design shop where you can buy items she has designed for Poltrona Frau, Tacchini, Modus, E&Y Japan, Offecct, Swedese and Zero. Address: Östgötagatan 18, www.monicaforster.se
- PetSounds Records A great shop for music, film, tickets and books. See also PetSounds Bar. Address: Skånegatan 53, www.petsounds.se
- Sivletto An amazing lifestyle store for people who are into the 50s. It’s a true lifestyle store with clothes and stuff, complete with coffee shop and hairdresser. Address: Malmgårdsvägen 16-18, www.sivletto.com
- 6/5/4 This is a surf shop that offers more than just wet suits. Here you can also enjoy a refreshing cup of coffee in one of the comfortable armchair or acquire an outfit for the day. Address: Nytorgsgatan 27, www.sexfemfyra.se
- Sneakersnstuff A unique assortment of exclusive, limited-edition sneakers, has become somewhat of a legend. There’s a shoe for everyone here. The store also sells clothing. Address: Åsögatan 124, www.sneakersnstuff.com
- The Local Firm The brand's core concept is inspired by the German Bauhaus movement in the beginning of the 20th century with key factors in industrial creativity and a straight forward functionality. Address: Skånegatan 82, www.thelocalfirm.com
- Tjallamalla The young and hip come to Tjallamalla, looking for something cool from new Swedish clothing designers. Much of what the store sells is only available here. In addition to clothing, the boutique also sells handbags, jewellery and other accessories. Address: Bondegatan 46, www.tjallamalla.com
- Art Concept Store Art gallery with a focus on young unestablished artists. Address: Åsögatan 148, www.artconceptstore.se
- Barber & Books Barber and book shop with inspiration from the 1920s. Address:Östgötagatan 21, www.barberandbooks.se
- Saltå Kvarn Organic products in nice retro-looking packages. Address: Renstiernas Gata 27, www.saltakvarn.se
- Farmers market (Bondens Egen) – Market with local and organic food. Saturday mornings 10 am-3 pm. Address: Katarina Bangata, www.bondensegen.com
Stay in SoFo
- Columbus Hotel Stay in SoFo at this charming hotel in a historic building.
Address: Tjärhovsgatan 11, www.columbushotell.se
- Scandic Hotel Malmen This typical SoFo hotel has stage for live music and a popular bar. Address: Götgatan 49–51, www.scandic-hotels.com/malmen